In my 24 years of life, I am still dabbling into new and different things. I love being a student of life and having the wonderful opportunity to meet new people, experience different cultures and travel the world. Often times when we are trying to find our passion we are following the things that our family and friends believe is right. We have all been at a place where we feel as if everyone is chasing their passion and dreams. At times we may feel left behind, while everyone is making things happen…don’t worry my friend the following list should help you.
Finding your passion doesn’t mean you have to quit your job and put in your two week notice. It takes time, and plenty of learning experiences. You may have to take baby steps and start off small to do more things that make you a happier person.
I came up with this list over the past few months. After having a conversation with my mom, I started to think about things that would help a person discover their passion.
* This list is in no particular order*
- Talk to a friend; ask them what they think you may be good at.
- Start a blog/site where you discuss your goals/dreams, share your thoughts, desires and favorite causes.
- Stop with the negative thinking. Only positive and power thoughts from now on!
- No more watching TV. Sometimes you have to give up in order to get.( Now you can’t say you don’t have the time if you make it)
5. Join a Meetup Group of people that share the same interests as you. ( www.meetup.com) – this is a great site. I found out about it about 2 years ago and it has been helpful with me moving to a different state and adjusting to a new environment.
6. Assist someone else while they pursue their dream, it may help you finally decide on what you want to do!
7. Find a “No excuses” zone. This may be a peaceful place early in the morning or a secret place to get away from everyone and enjoy yourself.
8. Learn the following word: NO. Everything is not for you. Learn what you should be involved in and what you should stay away from. First ask yourself: Is this going to benefit me?
9. Schedule a portion of the day/ or week ( hour or day) where you set it to getting work done! – this is what I do every day during the school year.
10. Oprah did it why can’t you: Start a journal, where toy write down your “bucket list”, “Dreams/Goals” write them into existence. – Call me crazy but this really does help. I promise, if you carry your list with you, and constantly look at it, you will begin to check them off. ( It works for me!)
11. No matter what you are trying to achieve, obstacles while come along your way. You have to learn to accept it and be willing to start again. (Learning through the process may be better than the goal.)
12. Start with a master plan( lol, I thought it was funny) Write out what you want to get done, your ultimate goal/mission or final result.
13. You are what you eat, you are you hang around. Surround yourself with others who share your dreams and passion.
14. Take a look at where you are right now and be thankful for what you have already accomplished. Have faith and you will go further then you expected.
15. Volunteer your butt off. Volunteering is one of the ways that I found my passion. I have started from the bottom and worked my way up. I had a chance to learn from the best and find mentors who have helped me become even better. You will make great relationships by doing this as well.
16. Be fearless. Don’t be afraid to jump out there and try new thing. Giving up on things before you experience them won’t get you anywhere. (My experience: ZIP LINING!! The first time I went zip lining, I was soooooo scared. I was crying to so hard that I could not even think straight. After I made that jump off the ledge and touched the ground (after what felt like 10 years…lol) I realized that everything was fine. Trying new things is a great experience.
17. Think about yourself first. Before you can be helpful to someone else you must make sure you are at your best. ( It is not all about you, but it is all about you…get it) Make yourself a priority and hopefully in turn you will discover your true passion.
I am sure there are plenty more that should be added to this list. Leave a comment below to add to it.
If you need help or advice in finding your passion, simply send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be Blessed, Be Inspired, Be Powerful, Be Bold